Baby Steps


Put on your walking or running shoes and join us Saturday October 27th in New Braunfels, Texas for the Chosen Marathon for Adoption!

If you haven't figured out yet, this is not Katti writing.  I know I know, you thought, "WOW! Katti's writing has really improved since her last post!"  Haha, just kidding.  This is actually one of the first non-technical things I have written since college so bear with me.

Katti took up the hobby of running last summer and convinced me to join in December last year.  I always thought distance running was not for me but have really embraced it since I started.  It is a great way to get away and think...or not think and just zone out.  Both of these aspects can appeal to anyone that has a busy stressful life (a.k.a. - EVERYONE). 

I did my first half marathon in February this year at the Cowtown Race in Fort Worth.  It was amazing and I couldn't wait to start training for the next race.  I was addicted.  Katti and I then decided to sign up for the Chicago 13.1 Half Marathon which we are running this Saturday!  If you would have told me this time last year that I would have run in 2 half marathons I would have laughed you out of town. 

When Katti and I decided to begin pursuing our adoption we couldn't help but to read and hear about the enormous cost that goes along with growing your family this way, especially internationally.  We did a quick search on everyone's favorite, Google, for an adoption race and the first link was the Chosen Marathon for Adoption.  This is a national event and it is within 300 miles of us in one of our favorite Texas destinations!  We knew we had to put a team together and use our hobby to help grow our family.

When I was signing myself up for this race one of the questions was deciding between the half marathon and the full marathon.  Even though I know my body would hate me for it, I chose the full marathon.  Katti asked me why in the world I would choose the full marathon and looked at me like I was crazy.  I told her that if I can do something that I know in my mind is impossible (a full marathon), then there is nothing that can stop us from overcoming any adoption challenge that may come our way. 

Anyone that is interested in joining with Baby Steps in October please feel free to contact me for further details, advice on training (even though I am definitely still an amateur), or just general information. 

This race is a great way to celebrate adoption and fundraise for adoptive families.  The entry fees for everyone that joins our team will go directly to help support our adoption!  Our team name is Baby Steps (thanks dad for the name idea).  If you're interested in learning more or joining our team please follow the link and READ MORE.  Make sure you choose team Baby Steps/Team Henderson when registering.

P.S. We will be designing athletic gear for our team as well as regular tee-shirts...more on that to come later.  Get excited!!!!

Comments

  1. We're excited!!! So proud of you I could just burst-into tears mainly...
    Love you two!
    Mel P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment